With the mercury hitting 30 degrees this week it is time to remember to water the garden.
No one knows more about watering the garden than Hozelock and they have put together some helpful hints to keep your garden luscious during the hot weather:
• Make sure your pots and hanging baskets get plenty of attention while you are away. Invest in an automatic watering kit, including an easy to use system which distributes water to your plants and can use up to 90 per cent less water than a standard hose and gun.
• Use automatic water timers to provide a regular flow of water to the garden and plants when you are away, whether at work or on holidays. Ensure your garden watering products are timed to provide the required amount of water.
• Water plants in the morning to reduce evaporation and conserve water. Use spray guns with a trigger nozzle on your hosepipe, which can halve the water used and direct the water flow to the roots of your plants.
• Say goodbye to tangled hoses with a wall mounted automatic rewind hose.
• Where possible cut grass weekly, long grass takes more nutrients out of the soil and is also harder to cut and may leave yellow patches in the lawn.
• Prepare bedding plants and hanging baskets, which will add a riot of colour through the summer and often into the autumn.
• Aphids can be a problem on roses and other plants. Use an anti-aphid spray in to protect your prize blooms.
Follow these steps and keep your garden summer fresh.